Monday, October 21, 2024

So...Let's talk about smut.

I have been on the fence for a while on whether I could pull back the curtain on this topic. 

There are many euphemisms for describing work with sexual content. Erotic literature is commonly referred to as smut, dirty, or filth. I think branding an entire genre with words that carry a negative connotation is unfair to both the writer as well as the reader. When asked about what you do for a living, most of these authors talk around the truth. They might say they write romance novels or that they’re just a fiction writer. This is to avoid the judgmental gazes of basically all of society. And if you're a fan and someone asks what you're into, you'll either lie, or in the case of my coworker and myself, get real close and whisper in each other’s ear like you've committed a crime.

I won't try to be too polite with my terms here. Frankly, I like the word 'smut'. It's fun to say and the books are fun to read. I've spent the past year or so devouring 100s of books and I've narrowed my list down to the ones I think rise to my strict criteria for recommendation.

All I can say for now is look forward to the next post. ^_^

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment