Finally! A book!
Yes, the anime binge watching has ended and I'm back to reading actual books. I started with one I bought a few months ago on a whim. S. E. Grove's The Glass Sentence.
This book, like most of what I like to read, can be found in the YA section of the bookstore. But personally, I found the book to be quite sophisticated. What makes it young adult (in my opinion) was 1) that the protagonist was a young girl who was about 14
2) there was no swearing (that I can recall)
3) there was no sex (not that the story needed it)
The author used vocabulary words that even I had to look up. I only mention that because it is very rare that I read something where I need to do that.
I really enjoyed her twist to alternate dimensions. Instead of separating the worlds by some portal, mirror, pond or veil that needs to be traversed, she mashed them all together into one place. All the worlds and different time periods are broken apart from where they originally belong and suddenly combined into a new and mysterious world. And the only way the people who now live in this world can begin to understand it is through maps.
This is where the book really gets good. You don't need to get bogged down in the history of this new world and you don't get bogged down by the maps. Rather the maps are your guide, as well as the main character's guide to and through the worlds. It is because of maps that the heroine finds her talent and her purpose and is able to complete her mission.
S. E. Grove is talented. Her story is well crafted and she has managed to create characters you just can't help but root for. There were even moments when she made me remember what it was like to be a teenage girl.
In the realm of fantasy, I definitely found something new in this book. I was pleasantly surprised. For once, I was glad that I judged a book solely by the cover.
Happy Reading
No comments:
Post a Comment