Saturday, January 7, 2017

Cheeky Angel

After spending my holiday binging on anime, I have emerged from my cave, or rather my blanket fort, with a list of new discoveries. For some of you, these anime series may not be new, but they are new to me.

First up is Cheeky Angel. The story centers around a boy who gets a magical book and makes a wish to be the manliest of men. Of course, the 'genie' in the book grants wishes backwards and the young boy is transformed into a girl. In anger, he throws the book into the nearby river. This is the beginning of his journey to find the book and try to be changed back.

Fast forward to high school, when the boy turned girl and his best friend Miki are still searching for the book. Because our hero/heroine is considered super gorgeous, boys throw themselves at him. He rejects the attention, mostly because he is a guy at heart. Of course, his admirers form a fan club and the members of the fan club eventually become close friends.

The series does get a tad stale with every episode filled with fist fights. Since our protagonist is a skilled fighter, every thug in their town wants to be the one to best the superior female and her friends in a fight. It does have some moments when I  found myself holding my sides from laughing.

Personally I enjoyed it. I give it 4 stars. Because this anime was made in the 80s, I can't really apply my usual grading scale for the artwork.  However, the humor, creativity and the voice acting gain it high marks. But it loses a few points for the over use of men looking to prove their bravado with fist fights.

No comments:

Post a Comment