It's been a while since I've seen a romance. I gave them up mostly because it's episode after episode of me waiting for the guy and girl to just admit they like each other, hold hands for the first time, and IF I'm lucky, they will kiss at the end of the season. Most of the time the writer leaves me waiting for the end of the series, all the while teasing with thousands of "almosts" that get interrupted with dumb gags or the relationship almost breaking apart because of a jealous meddler.
This one thankfully skipped most of the angsty drama stuff. The first 5 episodes are adorable, endearing, and a really authentic portrayal of how young relationships often begin. I watched them 3 times. Mainly because I just wanted to share this show with anyone in my house who was willing to give me 25 minutes of their time. But I've rambled long enough.
First, we have Izumi Miyamura and Kyoko Hori. They're in the same class but have never really spoken to each other. And they each have a secret: what they're like at school is totally opposite of what they're really like. For Hori, she's caught up in the reputation she's created at school. For Miyamura, he's just afraid to connect with people after having been bullied by others most of his young life. But thanks to Hori's younger brother Sota getting into a minor accident, these two meet and are able to see one other in their natural states.
They become friends outside of school first and don't even begin to realize that relationship beginning to spill into their school world. Of course, one of the boys in class who has a crush on Hori does, and there is a brief moment where he tries to break them up before they get started, but Kyoko's not having it. In the end, he just has to get over her and get over himself.
And we're not left waiting too long for that first kiss. I don't have patience so I watched it subbed, but you can find it on Funimation in English if that's what you prefer. Overall, I give the story, the acting and the artwork 4 stars.
No comments:
Post a Comment