Monday, January 17, 2022

Ranking of Kings

 In a word: Impressive. 

Ranking of Kings is one of those artwork exceptions I was talking about in my previous post. 

from IMDB

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi1000981273?playlistId=tt13409432&ref_=tt_pr_ov_vi

The artwork was so adorable I immediately decided it was for a younger audience and skipped past it. Of course, I have boredom to thank for opening my eyes to this gem. Boji, our star, is a prince who is deaf and dumb. While he can't hear or talk, that doesn't mean he is oblivious to the negative opinions everyone in his family and his kingdom have about him. He keeps up a positive attitude and he's determined to be a great and kind king. 

I found this anime on Funimation. The first episode was dubbed in English and I watched the rest subtitled. The acting on both sides meets my high standards so I have no complaints. The artwork, while not in my preferred style, also gets a 5 star rating. Without the cuteness of the art, Boji's story just doesn't have the same effect. He is absolutely the most adorable, loveable thing!

The story was definitely more sophisticated than the artwork makes it seem. Boji is an older brother to Daida. Everyone thinks Daida would make a better king because he's physically strong and doesn't have any disabilities. Of course, as the first born, Boji is expected to inherit the throne, which he does. Unfortunately, he is overthrown by a secret vote between his step-mother and the former king's other advisors. Shocked by this, Boji asks to leave the palace and go on an adventure. The queen reluctantly agrees and sends him off with two soldiers to guard him.

While he's gone, lots of bad things start to happen. Miranjo, a mysterious woman trapped in a magic mirror, starts on her path to revenge, one of Boji's guards tries to murder him, dangerous criminals get released from prison, someone tries to kill the step-mother using magical beasts, and Boji finds someone to teach him how to become strong enough to put the naysayers to shame. The kingdom is about to fall to ruin and the only hope is...you guessed it...Boji!

I just finished season 1 with my kiddos and we're excited to see what happens next. 

Some heroes wear capes and some wear tiny paper crowns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment