Thursday, April 23, 2015

Yowamushipedal

I'm in tears. The ending was so touching and yet still kept the flare of the show. It didn't lose touch with each character's personality. After two long seasons, the road racing anime ends. It's bitter sweet because I really enjoyed watching this one.

The pure hearted Onoda Sakamichi who learns to road race and make friends at the same time. The way his undying determination inspired the other members of the team. And how just watching the show made all my kids finally want to learn to ride a bike. (That last one's probably the best part)

Personally, I never thought that I would get into sports anime, but this one really made me addicted. You wouldn't think that a person would watch 63 episodes about a single bike race, but I think my attraction to this one really has to do with the main character. He starts off as such an awkward child, but grows into a slightly less awkward kid by the end. And his growth is all thanks to the interaction he has with the members of the Sohoku cycling team. 

I suppose the only thing that I would have liked to have more insight into was the incident about why his mother had his bike fixed so that he couldn't ride very far. They show a few images that makes it seem like he was once hit by a car, but it doesn't seem like Sakamichi remembers it. I would have like to have seen a full episode on that because I just like knowing the backgrounds of characters. 

For artwork, I will give this one 4 stars. It wasn't super realistic the way I like, but it wasn't overly cartoony either. They kept the slap stick moments to a minimum and each one fit the scene it was in. They didn't go out of their way to try and be funny, except at the end (after the episode credits). For story, again, I give it a 4. It would have been a 5 except there were moments when the show really got on my nerves. I get that they have to build suspense, but there were times when they over did it. 

All in all, this one was really good. And since it is finished, you can log onto Crunchyroll and binge watch the whole series from start to finish in about 2 to 3 days. Of course, it might take you 4 or more if you have a day job. 


No comments:

Post a Comment